This Indonesian Chicken recipe was absolutely wonderful. I added my own vegetables (what we had around) and took out the chile sauce (which I know Miss L wouldn't have handled, although I think my family would have loved it with). It was very good. My sis. Katie would've loved it.
This fruity curry chicken salad was also delicious, but Gary won't eat mayonnaise, so I took it to a play group, and then came home and ate the rest for dinner myself. It was very good too. The curry totally makes this.
Other than that I have been out of ideas. I am a limited in my cooking because Gary doesn't eat mayonaise, really fatty foods (like fried chicken), cream of mushroom/chicken soup, or any white milk products. If you haven't guessed he is lactose intolerant. Blah!!!!! At least he likes spices, and boy does my side of the family eat spices.
But I guess it makes me eat healthier. But it also throws me for a loop, when I'm out of ideas and want to throw together a casserole (no cream of chicken/cream of mushroom).
So got any ideas out there????
2 comments:
Those both sound yummy!
We had the Apricot Chicken with Balsamic Vinegar for dinner last night. It was really good. I used fresh apricots instead of dried ones though, because I had some that were about to spoil. In hindsight, I should have cut the amount of chicken broth down since I wasn't reconstituting the dried fruit to make the sauce thicker. I paired it with brown rice and steamed broccoli!
If you like spice, the spicy sweet potatoes are fantastic too.
Looks like we like the same site for our recipes. ;)
I asked an online friend who has a daughter with tons of allergies. So, basically she knows every great substitution under the sun. I thought I remembered her knowing a cream soup substitution. Here was her response...
Here you go "safe" milk and margarine will be whatever it is he uses - so Lactaid, soymilk, rice milk etc.
Basic Cream Soup Condensed
Melt 3 Tbsp. safe margarine in sauce pan. Blend in 3 Tbsp. safe flour and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook and stir until bubbly. Using wire whisk, stir in one cup of safe milk, stock, or combination. Cook just until smooth and thick. Makes slightly over 1 cup and is the same as a 10 oz. can of undiluted condensed soup.
Options:
Cream of chicken: Use chicken broth or safe bouillon as half the liquid. Add 1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning and some diced chicken.
Cream of mushroom: Saute 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms and 1 Tbsp. finely chopped onion in safe margarine before adding the flour.
Cream of celery: See mushroom, but use ½ cup celery instead of mushrooms.
You can vary the flavor by adding curry powder, garlic, onion, celery salt, lemon juice, chili powder, parsley, chopped veggies, chives, etc.
Post a Comment