Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Prep

I have never been through a hurricane, the part I guess that the most anxiety laden part is just waiting. It should hit this evening. The area that I live has not been evacuated and we have been told to stay put to allow those that need to evacuate to do so.

So with all this anxious energy and no where to go, we at he W* household came up with our own hurricane prep...

1) Make sure you have a supply of toilet paper accessible throughout the house.

2) Refill that storage water you filled up two years ago. You may actually need it.
3) Assure Children there is enough Applesauce to last through said hurricane.
4) Pack the freezer full of anything and everything and shut the door for approximately 4 days. (They say that is our worst concern...no power, no water).
5) Make Homemade rolls and Sweet Rolls. Because who doesn't need sweet rolls during a hurricane? (I figure since I will be eating canned food for a while, might enjoy my food before Spagettios kick in?)
6) Make Certain our Cinderella coloring book has enough pages colored before the storm.

7) Eat single green pepper left in garden and tear out tomato cages which the news says can become "projectile objects" during the storm. You served me well little guys.


8) Use neighbors leftover plywood to turn master bedroom into a hurricane proof bunker.
9) Attempt to tell my poor little orange tree he is on his own. (I am sad about this one, I fear he won't make it)




10) Plan several neighborhood barbecues for the next few days when the power is out and we have no water.


ps. to my family, cell phones and landlines didn't work for a while (a week) after Rita was here, but texting did. I don't know how to text, but I'll learn the lingo quick...IKE=:(

4 comments:

Sonia said...

Looks like you are prepared. Were people rushing to the store to buy canned foods? Did your orange tree survive?

Sonia said...

It's funny that we never had a hurricane while we lived in Texas. We did have floods, though. The sweet rolls look awesome! Good idea about the tomato cages, I never would've thought of that!

Sonia said...

JUST AN UPDATE ABOUT THE W* FAMILY FROM BIG G'S SISTER: THEY ARE ALL FINE, THEIR HOUSE HAD SOME ROOF DAMAGE BUT NOTHING ELSE. THEY LOST ONE TREE IN THE FRONT YARD. THEY HAVE A GAS STOVE SO THEY CAN COOK, THEY HAVE WATER BUT NO ELECTRICITY.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the updates- we have been thinking about your family. Glad to know you guys are all okay! We love you guys! When you get a few seconds we have our blog up and running - johntreufam.blogspot.com