Sunday, November 29, 2020

11/29/20 Thanksgiving Week


Thanksgiving week was here and now gone, too quick. Last Thursday night my parents came and we got to enjoy the whole weekend with them. We did sunrise trail hike (my mom had some trouble feeling like she was going to pass out). We also biked Rio Salado trail Friday and took a trail from Chaparral Park in Scottsdale on Tuesday with Gary about 15 miles down to Tempe town lake. It was a pretty awesome trail. 

Lily played "More Holiness give me" in church Sunday....with the new cello. She has played the song before, but it is just beautiful. 



 We were going back and forth all weekend whether or not to go to Colorado....as were they. Because of blasted COVID. In the end, they decided to go because they had to pick up Ella and Quinn to take them to Louisville for a couple weeks. We decided not to, mainly because of the large group joining together and the Colorado governor requesting that households could not get together for Thanksgiving. 

I was pretty depressed. It is always hard for me to have my family come, because I realize how they are not a part of my everyday life and they don't know my children well. So when they come, I get so sad...especially seeing them leave to be together in Colorado...and because of Gary's opinions and our fear of COVID, once again I am left out. But I digress, no one wants to be around a sad person. 

 I dwelt on my sadness for Wednesday morning and decided to throw myself into pie making. Each of my children picked out a pie and we had a great time. Grant chose Cherry...Lily - coconut cream, Ben- Apple Custard, Gary- Pecan. I helped them each make their pie. The apple custard crust was the flakiest I have ever made. Complete success. I waited to make that one (the crust was in the fridge the night before) until Thanksgiving day so it could still be warm. Oh, it was divine. We had a quiet Thanksgiving with Corinne and Les outside on the porch.  One funny note, the turkey Gary cooked he forgot to tie the legs together...so it looked like it was having a baby... pretty disturbing, tasted delish though!

 Although the kids were off school and Gary off work...we kinda just hung around. (Wednesday we did a little S




aguaro lake hike)...but because Gary jr. was about 2 weeks behind in school and he spend the whole weekend redoing assignments and we didn't do much. Blah! 

 Finally Saturday, we decided to get out and went and hiked the famous Fossil Springs. Permits are not needed in the winter and the parking is much more available. It was a 40 minute unpaved road....I was nervous to pop a tire...but we didn't. The hike was only 2 miles. The waterfall was beautiful and kayakers came and kayaked over the falls, which was really fun especially for the boys to see.


No comments: