
So I started this project about 6 when Gary left. I cooked the meat last night, so all I had to do was shred it and make Masa. That took about 30 minutes and L was still asleep, but the tamale making part took the better part of 3 hours, because of course I have to tie bows in them, but it makes them look so much nicer, and the meat never falls out then.
On a side note, if you are pregnant and have problems with contractions, do not stand for three hours with your knees locked....it is not a good combo. Also, raw pork is not the most appetizing to a prego, too late when you have bought 20 lbs....but it is done they are all finished, and I am taking it easy now.

Here is are my corn husks soaking and Masa and meat ready for assembly.
Here is the meat. It actually is a lot more appetizing than it looks and it smells so very wonderful when you are assembling. L liked it too.
Here is the masa.
Here is the meat. It actually is a lot more appetizing than it looks and it smells so very wonderful when you are assembling. L liked it too.
Here is the masa.If you want to make them, click here for the recipe (OMIT SALT) and here to wrap them up and cook them. They are my two inspirational web sights, however do not add the salt they recommend, otherwise they are nasty. Considering I am prego and crave salt, I speak the truth. I added 1 Tbs. of Garlic salt to 2 lbs. Masa and no garlic powder or salt, it was plenty. I also added a bit of Tabasco to the meat (and no salt) to give it more of a kick. Considering I am someone who can't handle "Medium" Salsa, when I was through it was still not hot at all. So flavor to taste. A good hint is to taste the Masa and meat and if it need more of something...add it then.

Here they are ready for dinner tonight... 7 of 100 that is....
This is my 3rd attempt, I still love to experiment. The first time I added all the salt, and subsequently gave the whole batch to my Brother-in-law who used to come over when I cleaned out my fridge in college and eat the nasty leftovers I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot-pole. Last time was wonderful, and this time (hopefully) will be too.
3 comments:
oooo, yummy! i love tamales but am too afraid to try to make them myself . . .
thanks for the links!
I must have had some from batch 2. They were delicious. I always think that they are WAY too much work-- but if you can get 100 tamales in 3 hours-- not too bad. I wish I was there to partake of the goodness!
I remember those tamales you gave your brother in law...they were delicious.
Post a Comment