Thursday, August 20, 2009

Follow up on the bunnies

The bunnies which are the cutest things in the world have left the nest. The mom kind of built their next in a not so conspicious place next to our gate(Gary edged there 2 weeks ago). Tuesday they ventured from the nest about 5 feet, and yesterday they were gone. On a positive note that they were not eaten by some creature, I did see the mommy bunny in our yard yesterday morning, probably collecting and moving her babies. We were afraid she wouldn't come back after Gary disturbed the nest.

Miss L thinks Heavenly Father sent her the bunnies and has prayed for them 6 or 7 times the last two days that their mommy would come back to them to feed them. Guess prayers are answered.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Lily is so sweet!

Catherine said...

Pam! This is Catherine (Miner) Craner. I read your blog occasionally and I just HAD to comment on this post!

We recently bought a house in Katy TX (did you know we only live about 45 min away from each other?) and shortly after we bought it, we decided to clean up the yard. (the house had been vacant for about 6 months and the yard was a mess.) Well, while TRIMMING around some trees - which had alot of bark mulch under them, I saw a similar nest to the one you found. However, we had just had a pest inspection done on the home and so I had "mice" on the brain. I called over to MY husband, and after we uncovered the nest, I saw all these little grey mice moving around in the nest!! Matt went and got a shovel and started to "destroy" the nest and mice in it --until we realized it was a RABBIT's NEST!!! The poor little things started coming out - but not before we had mistakenly killed 2 of them. It was so horrible, and embarassing! And all of this happened on NONE OTHER THAN EASTER WEEKEND!!!! WE LITERALLY killed the EASTER BUNNY! We quickly disposed of the 2 dead rabbits, and my girls oohed and ahhed over the ones that survived. We remade the nest as best we could, and returned the "survivors," but unfortunately, the mother never returned that we saw. The remaining bunnies left as well.

But after this all happened, I found on the internet, a great link that talks about how mother rabbits often build their nest is plain view: here it is: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

Good luck with your bunnies, and take care!

Catherine said...

p.s.: the bunnies we found REALLY DID look like Mice!!! They were MUCH smaller than the ones you have pictured, and they only had tiny little ears - just like mice! I just had to say that, because I'm really not an idiot, and I STILL fell BAD about the whole thing!!!

Sonia said...

I'm glad the bunnies left. That can be a bad problem.