Friday, June 13, 2008

Yesterday's Project

While the US is suffering with a tomato shortage due to the Salmonella outbreak, we here at the W* household are swimming in tomatoes, literally, my 7 big tomatoes plants are ready for harvest, and we can only eat so many sun-ripened delicious tomatoes.

We have given away as many as my visiting teachers, home teachers, VT companions will take....sometimes I think they think we are bit nuts, but I grew up with a big garden, so fresh produce to me is equal to baked goods.

So yesterday with the plethora of tomatoes, jalapeƱos that reseeded themselves from last year's garden, and a lady who was giving away free onions in my neighborhood (I know, random), I made salsa. The only ingredient I had to buy was green peppers, because my poor little green pepper plant may not, (sob, sob) make it.

I have canned salsa once before, it Utah, but never by myself, it w as an "experience". But I am really proud of my 17 little jars. Thanks for the recipe, Amy.

Blanching, Cooking, and Canning:




3 comments:

Plant Girl said...

Way to go! My hope was to can some salsa at the end of the summer but I don't know if that's going to happen now.

I had 8 tomato plants in the ground; we got frost (!) on Friday night and I'm afraid that I need to replace/replant 4-5 of them. And a couple of my jalapenos too. :(

Stupid weather! It killed all of my begonias (an entire flat) and some of my other annuals. It stinks.

Pam said...

it's micro Amy's salsa...she canned it in the autoclave at Nuskin once....

Leslie said...

oh how i wish i was still around for that salsa. maybe you're not giving it away, but if you are, neal's at my house until friday. :)

the tomatoes you gave us were delicious. i had them on turkey sandwiches with a bit of salt sprinkled on top. mmmm.